Slack Technologies, LLC is a software company established in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 2009. The firm is renowned for developing the proprietary messaging platform known as Slack, which is presently headquartered in San Francisco, California. With a global presence, Slack has offices situated in New York City, Vancouver, Tokyo, Toronto, Pune, Melbourne, Paris, Denver, London, and Dublin. In June 2019, Slack Technologies became a publicly traded company via a direct listing on the New York Stock Exchange. In December 2020, Salesforce acquired Slack Technologies for $27.7 billion, and the transaction was finalized in July 2021.
Initially known as Tiny Speck, the San Francisco-based startup was founded by Stewart Butterfield, a co-founder of Flickr. In 2009, Tiny Speck secured $1.5 million in angel funding, followed by $5 million in Series A funding in 2010 from Accel and Andreessen Horowitz. The company's primary product, Glitch, was a computer game featuring stylized 2D graphics and social MMORPG gameplay. However, the game was discontinued in November 2012.
Following the discontinuation of Glitch, the company introduced the Slack real-time collaboration app and platform, which received $17 million in funding from Andreessen Horowitz, Accel, and Social Capital. The company was renamed Slack Technologies in August 2014, with Slack originally serving as an in-house tool for Glitch development. By September 2017, Slack had obtained $841 million in funding from various investors, including Softbank Vision Fund. In 2016, Slack topped the Forbes Cloud 100 list. In July 2018, Atlassian announced the cessation of its rival HipChat and Stride services and the sale of their intellectual property to Slack. In September 2018, Slack revealed plans for an initial public offering in the first half of 2019. The fiscal year that ended on January 31, 2019, saw Slack generating $400.6 million in revenue.
Slack is a comprehensive platform that allows teams to work together seamlessly. With all its features working together, teams can stay on the same page and make faster decisions by bringing all their work communication into one place.
Channels are central spaces for conversations, files, tools, and people, helping teams stay organized and focused. Slack Connect allows teams to collaborate with other companies in the same way they collaborate with their own. The combination of Huddles, messaging, clips, and accessibility features simplifies the collaborative process for teams.
Slack also offers a range of app icons that link to numerous services, including Google Drive, Office 365, and more than 2,200 others. This feature streamlines work processes and simplifies the task of finding what you require when you require it. Slack's Workflow Builder automates routine actions and communication, freeing up time for more complex tasks.
Slack enables global collaboration with unlimited channels designed to emulate the way companies operate in practice. The platform also offers enterprise-level security, protecting data at every layer. Slack's Enterprise Key Management gives users complete control and visibility of access to their data using their own encryption keys.
Slack is used by companies of all sizes, including Airbnb, Target, Uber, One Medical, News Corp, US Department of Veteran Affairs, Intuit, SONOS, and more. This tool ensures that teams remain connected, regardless of their location or the task at hand.
Slack offers a variety of pricing plans to fit the needs of different teams and organizations. The Free plan is a great way to get started with Slack and includes access to the most recent 90 days of message history, 10 integrations with other apps, and 1:1 audio and video conversations with screen sharing.
For small teams who want better collaboration, the Pro plan offers all the benefits of the Free plan plus the full context of your organization’s message history, unlimited integrations, and audio and video conversations with screen sharing with up to 50 people.
For businesses looking to scale up, the Business+ plan includes all the features of Pro, plus advanced identity management through SAML-based SSO and real-time Active Directory sync, compliance requirements met with data exports for all messages, and around-the-clock support with 99.99% guaranteed uptime and 24/7 assistance with a four-hour response time.
For the most demanding enterprises, Slack offers the Enterprise Grid plan, which includes all the features of Business+ along with enterprise-grade security and compliance, support for up to 500,000 users, and streamlined administration with centralized controls and customizable policies. The Enterprise Grid plan is tailored to meet the needs of large organizations with strict regulatory requirements. Contact sales to learn more about Enterprise Grid pricing.
Can a virtual assistant use Slack to assist a business?
Slack is a powerful tool for integrating outsourced teams, virtual assistants, and communicating with your global team. Here are some ways to use Slack to improve communication and collaboration with remote workers:
- Create channels: Set up channels in Slack for different teams, projects, or tasks. This allows everyone to communicate and collaborate on specific topics or tasks, and ensures that everyone has access to the information they need.
- Use integrations: Slack integrates with a variety of tools and services, including Trello, Asana, and Google Drive. By connecting these tools to Slack, you can centralize communication and collaboration and ensure that everyone is on the same page.
- Conduct video calls: Slack offers video and voice calls, making it easy to communicate with remote workers in real-time. This is especially helpful for virtual assistants or outsourced teams who may be in different time zones.
- Share files: Slack allows you to share files with your team, making it easy to collaborate on documents, presentations, and other files. You can also set up channels for specific projects or teams, and share files within those channels.
- Use bots: Slack bots can automate tasks and provide information to your team. For example, you can use a bot to provide daily updates on a project or to send reminders to team members.
- Set up status updates: Slack allows you to set status updates, so your team knows when you are available or busy. This is especially helpful when working with virtual assistants or outsourced teams in different time zones.
By using Slack to integrate outsourced teams, virtual assistants, and communicate with your global team, you can improve communication, increase productivity, and ensure that everyone is on the same page.